Health Benefits of Eucalyptus
Eucalyptus oil has been prized for centuries as a “miracle oil” – but what is it that really makes Eucalyptus so sought after? While I don’t exactly believe in “miracles”, I do know that eucalyptus has some serious healing properties and I would like to share with you some evidence based benefits of this wonderful, medicinal plant.First off, a couple of fun facts: Did you know that there are actually over 700 species of Eucalyptus, most of which are found in Australia?
These different species can range anywhere from about 10 meters to over 60 meters in height, with the tallest measured specimen, dubbed “Centurion”, being just shy of 100 meters!
These trees have been used throughout our history for an abundance of purposes. The wood of the tree is often used in paper production as well as building materials, and was a popular choice for many aboriginal musical instruments. Different parts of the trees have been used to produce natural dyes, industrial solvents, antiseptic and of course medicine. Honey produced from Eucalyptus nectar is prized for being of high quality.
It is important to preface this information by saying, eucalyptus can be toxic if taken internally, especially at high concentrations. Always consult a doctor about any serious medical conditions. If using any pure essential oils, always dilute with water and perform a small patch test on your skin before applying all over the body. Essential oils are extremely powerful, concentrated substances, which is what makes them so amazing, but they should also be used with caution as any essential oil can potentially cause an allergic reaction.
A high quality Eucalyptus oil is made up of about 90% “Eucalyptol”. This is an organic compound that is known for it’s incredible medicinal properties. Here are just a few of those benefits:
- Eucalyptol is known as an anti-bacterial and is a popular addition to many cold & flu remedies.
- Studies have shown that it is effective in reducing mucous, and can help open up airways in people with asthma.
- Topical applications have aided in reducing pain and inflammation.
- Great for treatment of cuts, scrapes, burns, bug bites, lice and skin infections.
- Has been shown to reduce headaches and clear up nasal congestion.
- Studies have even shown some positive results in treatment of leukemia, however it is too early to draw conclusions and it is extremely important to seek out a medical professional and not to self medicate as eucalyptus can also be toxic when taken improperly or at high doses.
- Eucalyptus oil can be used as an insecticide. It repels a variety of insects including mosquitos, tics and mites in the home and garden.
- At the same time, it has been shown to attract certain species of bees, so doubly beneficial to your garden!
- Known for it’s wonderfully FRESH aroma, Eucalyptus oil is often used as a natural fragrance in bath, body and household products.
- Eucalyptus is also a natural anti-bacterial as well as deodorizer, so it can really help freshen up those old, musty blankets or throw pillows.
SOME OF THE WAYS WE USE EUCALYPTUS OIL:
BATH SALT – Our 100% natural Eucalyptus Bath Salt is a very popular product that gives off a wonderful aroma. It is truly a soothing experience that relieves body aches and pains, decreases stress levels, and leaves your skin feeling silky smooth. Eucalyptus Essential Oil is used in combination with mineral rich Sea salt and Epsom salt to provide a host of healing effect on the whole body. You can also try our Himalayan Eucalyptus salt which provides many of the same benefits and also makes for a great exfoliant. If you use pure Eucalyptus essential oil, you only need a couple of drops for a whole bath.
LIQUID SOAP – This Ph Neutral liquid hand & body soap is a beautiful amalgamation of sweet orange and eucalyptus essential oils. Pure and simple, it features only 5 ingredients (Saponified Olive Oil, Distilled Water, Coconut oil, Orange essential oil and Eucalyptus essential oil.) This soap smells invigorating, and is also incredibly gentle on the skin. This soap is great for all body parts and skin types, so don’t be afraid to keep a bottle in the shower for the whole family to enjoy!
SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER – The combination of Eucalyptus and Sweet Orange was so loved, that we decided to use it in our natural shampoo & conditioner as well. This shampoo is very gentle and does not lather up as much as you may be used to with a typical commercial shampoo. Don’t worry, it’s doing it’s job, don’t overdo it, all you need is a couple of drops. While it cleans your hair and leaves it feeling and smelling absolutely amazing, it will not strip the hair in the way many commercial shampoos do. It may feel weird at first, but you will notice after a few uses that your hair feels thicker and stronger.
AROMATHERAPY – Eucalyptus oil not only smells amazing, but as we’ve already covered, it has many medicinal properties – many of which can be accessed through aromatherapy. Eucalyptus oil is a natural antibacterial, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, AND it is known to open up airways and clear up congestion to allow you to breathe better. So it is perfect if you are feeling congested, dealing with a cold, flu or just seasonal allergies. Breathing in it’s wonderful fresh aroma will quickly help clear you up, and it may even just help you relax and relieve some stress.